-Having considered the matter deeply I see that the Opposition’s
Gopalkrishna Gandhi’s statement comes ahead of a scheduled meeting of opposition parties in Mumbai to discuss their joint candidate for the presidential elections.
New Delhi: Former West Bengal governor Gopalkrishna Gandhi today turned down the opposition parties’ request to contest the upcoming presidential election. The 77-year-old is the third political person after Nationalist Congress Party chief Sharad Pawar and former Jammu and Kashmir chief minister Farooq Abdullah to have withdrawn their names as probable opposition nominees for the July elections.
In a statement, Mr Gandhi said several esteemed leaders of the Opposition have done him the honour of thinking of him for the opposition’s candidature in the upcoming elections for the presidency.
“Having considered the matter deeply I see that the Opposition’s candidate should be one who will generate a national consensus and a national atmosphere beside Opposition unity. I feel there will be others who will do this far better than I,” Mr Gandhi said.
Mr Gandhi’s statement comes ahead of a scheduled meeting of opposition parties in Mumbai to discuss their joint candidate for the presidential elections. His name had been suggested by West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee.
The 77-year-old former bureaucrat had also served as India’s High Commissioner to South Africa and Sri Lanka. He is the grandson of Mahatma Gandhi and C Rajagopalachari.
The process to elect a new president began on June 15. The last date for filing of nominations is June 29. The polls, if necessary, will be held on July 18 and the counting on July.
-”PM, Please Ask Your Friend Abbas, If He Exists…”: A Owaisi’s Dig
Asaduddin Owaisi’s fresh attack on the Prime Minister comes a week after Sharma’s remarks kicked up a political storm and sparked a wave of protest across the country.
New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi should ask his “childhood friend Abbas” if suspended BJP leader Nupur Sharma’s remarks on Prophet Muhammad are objectionable or not, Hyderabad MP Asaduddin Owaisi has said.
Mr Owaisi’s fresh attack on the Prime Minister comes a week after Ms Sharma’s remarks kicked up a political storm and sparked a wave of protest across the country.
In a blog post written to mark his mother Heeraben Modi’s 99th birthday, the Prime Minister recalled his memories with Abbas.
“A close friend of my father used to stay in a nearby village. After his untimely death, my father brought his friend’s son, Abbas, to our home. He stayed with us and completed his studies. Mother was as affectionate and caring towards Abbas just like she did for all of us siblings. Every year on Eid, she used to prepare his favourite dishes,” he wrote.
In a scathing retort, Mr Owaisi said, “The Prime Minister remembered his friend after eight years. We did not know you had this friend. We appeal to the Prime Minister, please call Mr Abbas — if he is there –and make him listen to the speeches of Asaduddin Owaisi and Ulemas (religious leaders) and ask him if we are lying.”
“If you share the address, I will go to Abbas. I will ask him if what Nupur Sharma said about Prophet Muhammad is objectionable or not. And he will agree that she spoke rubbish,” the All India Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen chief said.
“You remembered your friend. It’s also possible that it is a story, how do I know! He had also promised ‘acche din’, they have come,” Mr Owaisi added.
-Google Co-Founder, World’s 6th Richest Person, Files For Divorce
Sergey Brin Divorce: Sergey Brin filed a petition for dissolution of his marriage to Nicole Shanahan this month, citing “irreconcilable differences,” according to court documents.
Sergey Brin, the Google co-founder and world’s sixth-richest person, filed for a divorce from his wife of three years, making him the third mega-billionaire to do so in as many years.
Brin filed a petition for dissolution of his marriage to Nicole Shanahan this month, citing “irreconcilable differences,” according to court documents. The couple, who have a three-year-old son, took steps to keep the details of the split private, requesting that documents be sealed by the court.
“Because of the high profile nature of their relationship, there is likely to be significance public interest in their dissolution case and any potential child custody issues,” according to the filing in Santa Clara, California.
Brin, 48, has a fortune of $94 billion, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index, derived largely from his holdings in Google, the company he co-founded wth Larry Page in 1998 that later formed the holding company Alphabet Inc. Both he and Page left Alphabet in 2019, although they remain on the board and still are the controlling shareholders.
Brin’s earlier marriage to 23andMe co-founder Anne Wojcicki ended in divorce in 2015.
His most recent split comes a year after Bill Gates and Melinda French Gates announced the dissolution of their marriage and about three years after Jeff Bezos and MacKenzie Scott divorced. At the time, Gates and French Gates had a $145 billion fortune to divide, while Bezos and Scott had $137 billion at stake when they broke up.
It’s likely Brin and Shanahan have a prenuptial agreement since the relationship began long after he became a billionaire, said Monica Mazzei, a partner at Sideman & Bancroft LLP in San Francisco. But because the case is being handled by a private judge, “we will never know the details” of the divorce, she said.
Philanthropy could also play a role in the divorce agreement, Mazzei said. Shanahan created the Bia-Echo Foundation, whose focus is on “longevity and equality, criminal justice reform and a healthy and livable planet,” according to its website. The foundation reported $16.7 million in assets and made $7.4 million in grants, according to its 2019 tax filing, the most recent available.
Mazzei said divorce agreements often include the support of an ex-spouse’s philanthropy because it’s mutually beneficial: The grantor gets a tax break and the grantee gets agency over their charitable giving. Brin was the only contributor to the foundation, according to the tax form, with a gift that year of more than $23 million.
A representative for the Bia-Echo Foundation didn’t return a call requesting comment.
Scott has become the world’s most prolific philanthropist since her split from Bezos, granting billions of dollars to a wide range of causes thanks to the 4% stake in Amazon.com Inc. she ended up with in 2019.
Following the Gateses’ divorce, their focus has also turned to philanthropy. Unlike Scott and Bezos, the former couple had already made their name as mega-donors with their Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and there were questions about how the $50 billion charitable engine would be affected.
French Gates has since turned attention to her own philanthropic investment firm Pivotal Ventures, which was started in 2015 with a focus on implementing “innovative solutions to problems affecting U.S. women and families.”
-Himachal Cable Car Stuck: All 11 Passengers Rescued After 3 Hours
The cable car is a feature of Timber Trail private resort which is popular across the northern region
Chandigarh and New Delhi: All 11 people onboard were rescued after they were stranded for more than three hours in a cable car that stopped midway in Himachal Pradesh’s Parwanoo on Monday afternoon. “I will seek a report on what went wrong,” Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur said, who had reached the spot.
A rescue trolley was deployed on the cable to get the passengers out, according to the Solan district police chief Virendra Sharma. They were lowered, one at a time, onto a hill in the Kaushalya river valley below using harnesses.
The cable car is a popular feature of the Timber Trail private resort, about 35 kilometres from Chandigarh on the route to Kasauli and Shimla. It is frequented by people from across the region as Parwanoo is at the cusp of Himachal Pradesh with Haryana, Punjab and Chandigarh.
The technical team of the Timber Trail operator was deployed and police team was monitoring the situation, the superintendent of police told ANI. A team of the National Disaster Response Force was also at the spot.
Just after the cable car got stuck, some of the elderly tourists among those stranded had put out a video detailing why it was worse for them. “I am a diabetes and kidney patient. They are saying the same thing again and again – that we will be rescued using the ropeway. We are not fit to be taken out like this,” said an elderly man.
Monday’s incident brought back memories of a similar incident at Timber Trail in October 1992, when 10 passengers were rescued in an operation by the Army and Air Force; the cable car operator had died.
The Indian Armed Forces had some months ago shared on their official Instagram handle a post carrying three pictures from the time the rescue operation was undertaken. The first photo showed the cable car — with Timber Trail Parwanoo written on it – hanging in the air. Another photo showed a tourist being lifted to the helicopter of the Indian Air Force, while the third one was a group photograph of officers and some rescued passengers.
At that time, only half of the passengers could be rescued at first, before it got dark. The team had to temporarily halt the operation but managed